1. Dexterous Dude: If you're lucky enough to have a man that is handy around the house, there are a plethora of new tools to choose from along with a gift card to his favorite specialty home improvement store etc.
2. Humor Him: Ideal because these will not set you back as more ~serious~ gifts will later on in the relationship but also won't send any kind of "message."
3. Leisure Linked: Coffee/Beer of the month membership (whichever they would enjoy more is always a good go-to, a special edition copy of his favorite novel or an accessory for his most frequently used piece of technology.
4. Hobby/Sport: a round of golf at his favorite course, tickets to a game or hobby related equipment (like photography, hiking etc.) I think the above pictured Golf Swing Analyzer is pretty amazing (by the way, if your significant other is a golf lover you're so lucky - so much gift potential!)
6. Something edible: cook him his favorite dinner (if you do not know what it is yet, now is a good time to do a bit of investigating) or make a batch of his favorite baked good. Want to go above an beyond in the thoughtfulness arena? Make an extra helping of dinner that he can bring home and freeze for an evening he is on his own. He'll be thinking about you even when you're not there. If he's a foodie and appliance inclined (and especially loves to make one dish or type of cuisine in particular - go on that!)
7. Socially Responsible Stud: a donation (the amount does not matter) to a charity close to his heart in his name + a homemade gift certificate that is redeemable for one or more afternoons donating your time at a local pantry or organization.
Have a chat about both of your expectations regarding the holiday. You do not want to do something small and then find out he went all out on his end (okay it's usually the other way around.)
Keep it light. Save the "His & Hers" towels for a later period, wouldn't you be a bit puzzled if he gifted you with an expensive piece of jewelery right off the bat?
Don't aim to impress, guys just appreciate knowing you were thinking of them and if your guy makes it clear he was looking to be impressed - there's a whole other issue to deal with.
Still stuck? Think about his interests and then browse relevant stores tip: ask someone working in the department, they have helped countless clueless girlfriends previously in your same shoes!